Rejected

"I Dream of Roanie- 'Shy on Cash' & Blind in One Eye"

I received a rejection letter for my submission to the American Quarter Horse Foundation's 2015 art show at their hall of fame & museum.  I can't lie; it bruised my ego for a minute, after a 2014 sprinkled with sales, awards and publicity, but rejection is a natural part of growth in any line of work.

During the awards ceremony for the SAGE National Exhibition in Sheridan in June, juror Mike Beeman asked how many of the artists were taking part in their first juried show.  He congratulated those who raised their hands, for continuing to enter juried shows after being rejected in the past.  He added that rejections are common, and artists must continue to work and not give up when their submissions are turned down.

I've had many rejections for shows, contests, fellowships- even as a Roster Artist for the Wyoming Arts Council, which showcases many art instructors, something I have loads of experience at, though no degree.  While it hurts at the time, I've learned to consider several questions when my work is rejected:  Did I submit my absolute best work?  Did the art I submitted really fit their desired subject matter and/or genre?  Was my application concise and appropriate to what they were looking for?  Was my resume simple, neat and updated, and did it highlight my qualifications for their purpose?   

If I answer "no" to any of the above questions (and I usually do), there's experience and knowledge to bring to the next entry: to work harder, to research shows and jurors, and to submit application materials relevant to show requirements.  In regards to the Quarter Horse Foundation, I primarily paint rangy American Indian horses, and even my Quarter Horses resemble those of 30 years ago, when they had larger feet and heads and taller withers. It was silly for me to be hurt that my work doesn't represent today's Quarter Horse, because that's not the language I'm speaking as an artist.  Am I sorry I submitted work? No, because I learned from the experience.  I tuck rejections into the back of my mind.  When really great things happen, I remember past dismissals and realize (sometimes with an evil snicker) how I've learned, grown or overcome an obstacle . 

At about the time I need a reminder to keep growing and learning, rejection keeps my head from getting too big.  It prompts me to focus on my main purpose as an artist- to express my love for my surroundings in a way people can see in my brushstrokes.  Sometimes a painting fits what's required for a show or contest, and sometimes it doesn't, but if I remain true to myself in my work, it doesn't matter.  I'm reminded of the story (I've shared it before) Rose Frederick told about the abstract artist who, thinking realism was what they were looking for, submitted a terrible rodeo painting to the Coors Show.  I could probably paint a nice, textbook Quarter Horse in a photorealistic style, but I'd be compromising my artistic voice. 

It's good to stretch our boundaries often, and juried shows provide an opportunity to explore new subjects.  The "Scenes in the City" show opening in September in Sheridan had many local artists, myself included, looking around our beautiful town for compositions to paint.  I'm sure I'll receive a rejection for at least one if not all three of the paintings I submit, but the task of doing them has already benefitted me, as I've broadened my experience as an artist while remaining true to my style and artistic voice.
"Alley of the Rainbow," 20x16 oil on canvas

Post Script: All three paintings were accepted, and "Alley of the Rainbow" won 2nd Place at the "Scenes in the City" show