Vintage Golf Cart-Turned Easel Transport


I'm always- ALWAYS thinking of new uses for old things.  This has led to my garage containing many pieces slated for "future repurposing projects." In the past I've shared how I made a pochade box from an old cigar box using Lori McKnee's instructions at Fine Art Tips.  I also revamped my Cheap Joe's Field Easel to make it more user friendly (click here), and created wet panel carriers out of wooden wine boxes (see one attached to the backpack below, left).    

Finding that I owned an old Kelty backpack (purchased years ago for $5) which perfectly fit my new and adored Soltek plein air easel was a treat, however, I've also wanted a way to pull it, which would be handy for transporting the easel through streets or along long trails.  When I saw these two vintage golf carts at an auction yesterday, I knew I'd found it.

I picked them up (along w/ two other bags and a plethora of vintage clubs which I gladly gave away (later finding they were worth $ on ebay) for $4.  The price was right, as they were full of rat droppings!
My first order of business was to remove the club-holding system (shown above).  This was harder than one would expect, as they were made -probably in the USA- back when workmanship was important. I had to use a wrench, scissors, a screwdriver, and lots of muscle to take them apart.  I found the "man's" bag to be more suited for a cart, as the bottom lining was fit for holding the Soltek easel.    

After stripping it down, I was left with this, which got a thorough cleaning. I didn't replace the top crossbar, as I needed room to fit the easel inside.  The lower bar (not replaced yet above) holds the front storage compartment in place, as well as providing a wall to hold the easel.  The back bar sufficiently secures the easel inside. (yes, I need to reattach the rubber to the wheel, but for $4...)

Here it is after I replaced the lower crossbar and bag.  You can see the Soltek easel is a perfect fit for this type of cart.  The club holders on the back provide a place to hang paper towels and secure my plein air umbrella, which I wired to the handle to keep it in place (below, right photo).


 

The roomy storage bags provide a place for a thin panel carrier, as well as bug spray, sunblock, water, extra turp, etc.  The fold-down handle makes it easy to transport in a vehicle (though you'd have to remove the umbrella too).

I believe this may also work for a Julienne easel, but one would have to measure carefully, as the space is not much deeper than the Soltek.  It could be made to fit by altering the framing and moving it around.

Did you know that Wyoming artist Jim Wilcox invented the Soltek easel?  (click the Soltek link near the beginning of this post to learn more about this "cadillac of field easels" and for a link to the Wilcox Gallery. 

I can't wait to try out this new transport for my favorite easel.  If you like to paint en plein air, it is definitely the fastest, lightest and most versatile easel out there (note, it's expensive, but worth every penny in my book).  I got one because Phil Starke recommends it.

Best of all, this project was done the same day I bought it, so it didn't go into the garage for a "someday I'll" project.