Achieving Your Own Success

At an art reception last summer, the remark: "Sonja is successful because she learned to market her art online," got me to thinking about how we define success and achieve it.  While an online presence is vital to people wanting to earn a living on their craft, I believe that any semblance of "success" in the arts is the culmination of three more important components: work, passion, and talent (along with a never-give-up attitude and blessings from above). 

Before you think I'm conceited, let me say definitions of "success" vary, so it's crucial that artists define it for themselves as they set goals.  Several years before I lost my full-time job, I started seriously working toward my goal of "full-time artist" by prioritizing my obligations, practicing and marketing as a business would; I defined success -and still do- as being able to paint as often as I like and generating enough income on it not to have to work a conventional job.  To me, success isn't riches or fame, but the ability to do what I'm passionate about.  A person's goals may evolve- I'd like to have a larger studio and hang in the Coors Show, but my definition of success remains the same; therefore, as I set bigger goals for the future, I'm successful in my original goal.

Of the three components of success, work is most important.  As young people we "create and wait," believing that "getting discovered" will set us effortlessly on the road to success.  You wouldn't step into a boat and wait for it to transport you. You must start the engine and steer, grab the oars or adjust the sails to go where you want to be.  If making income from your art is a goal, a portion of the time you spend must eventually be devoted to marketing and networking, to get your work in the public's eye.  You must update your website while learning and improving your technique.  It takes time and toil, but if you have passion it's worth it, because you're sharing what you love.  If your goal is to become very skilled at your craft, your time will be spent in learning and practice rather than marketing your work.

The next important key to success is passion.  You can work toward a goal and be successful, but your passion (or lack thereof) is visible in the finished product.  Many people have a dream or desire to do something, but unless they are passionate about pursuing it, it fizzles out.  People often ask for advice, then chime, "I don't have time…" Because I am passionate about painting, for years I carved out time for it while working a full-time AND a part-time job, along with being a mom and wife.   It's demanding, but prioritizing your passion makes the rest of life's "jobs" and obligations more joyful.  If you really "don't have time," then it's not your passion and you don't want it badly enough; please stop reading here and get back to what's important in your life. 

Talent is last on my list because it will take you nowhere without passion and work.  I've known a lot of artists with loads more talent than I have, but who lack the passion, desire, or work ethic to pursue it.  I believe natural talent is a gift from God, but that doesn't guarantee that someone with talent will be "successful" in that area, nor does it mean that a person can't learn the skills necessary to do that which they're truly passionate about. 

Pursuit and practice of your craft involves continual learning.  The Sheridan Artists' Guild, Et al (SAGE) is made up of local artists, many who've had the formal training I lack.  Talking with and taking classes with or from these artists is integral to my growth as an artist.  If you want to take your art to the next level, join an artists' guild or sign up for art classes at your local college.  Work, passion, and talent, applied with diligent practice and continual learning, are fundamental components of any definition of "success."