Tapping into that Divine Creative Force

My last post was about illustrating the idea of following your life's passion for a series at church on the same subject.  I'm not a public speaker, and when I was interviewed about my passion during a church service, I failed in conveying how much art means to me, and how the act of painting is my connection to the Divine.

Art-making has always been a way I tap into God's creativity, ever since I painted as therapy after losing our baby girl in labor nearly 19 years ago.  As an expecting mom, I was a participant in God's creation of this little person- I was honored to be a vessel, carrying something made by Him.  I think I felt that same feeling when I began painting after losing her- art became a way to experience that connection of being a conduit for His creation.  I put the pain of loss into producing paintings and found solace and joy in the Lord there.

I believe most creative endeavors present an open line to Divine inspiration if one is willing to seek it.  And you can identify works where the creator -musician, writer, artist, chef, etc.,- tapped into that force, though it's hard to explain- it's something you feel.

My paintings usually begin with a prayer for me to see what the Lord has made, and for His guidance in my hands and eyes and mind to recreate it as I see He made it -filled with light and love.  In spending the last few weeks thinking about this church project, and why I paint, I've grown even more aware of how much my art depends on unseen influences.  In response to this renewed awareness, color and light are more amplified in my most recent work, as seen here.
 
Witnessing the difference in my latest paintings inspires me to try new things, like the painting of Jesus which I did spur-of-the-moment the other day.  

***Warning: I do not paint people, nor can I verbally convey my thoughts in a clear manner, especially in matters regarding religion or "artspeak."  I never planned to share this painting nor this video, but something compels me to do so.  Click here for the super lame video of me talking and finishing the Jesus painting. (Note: I'm all about citing reference sources- I found the classic Jesus image from my Granny's wall on the internet and used it (loosely) as reference.)

Special thanks to Pastor Darrell White for engaging me in this project, which has brought my art to a new level of awareness, light and love.  I gifted him with the painting in the video.