Beyond Dreams & Expectations

When you open yourself to truly following your passion, opportunities arise which can take you to places beyond your dreams.

Back when I was working two jobs and painting only when I could squeeze it in between "family-time" activities of horses, hockey and housework, I dreamed of spending my days alone in the studio.  I never envisioned life as a full-time artist would entail teaching lively painting classes to the public, and yet next week at this time I will be teaching in Zambia, Africa, at Poetice International's Elijah Mission Arts Academy!

Me? A poverty-level little cowgirl who wasn't a stellar student and nearly failed her high school speech class because of her shyness?   An under-educated artist who didn't have the funds to finish two years at junior college, let alone go to art school?  Yes!  Unqualified as I am, my passion for art has led me far beyond the solitary studio time I'd imagined.

In 2012 I started teaching two-hour painting workshops after losing my job with District 1 (when the Lord said, "Here, be an artist.")  Though I had many years experience as a teacher's aide, I was terrified to teach adults.  I teach primarily non-painters, but sometimes my students have more art education and training than I have, and that used to make me even shyer. 

I eventually learned that these classes aren't about education or outcome as much as they are about sharing the experience of painting and showing people that they don't have to be "artistic" to express themselves creatively and have fun with art. Developing class subjects that would: appeal to people, be easy to recreate step-by-step, and allow for amusement and individual interpretation became my top priorities.  By incorporating humor, I got over my shyness. I teach what is most important to a successful painting and find ways to make it fun and fast, so that in two hours, we have a room full of unique art and smiling painters who hopefully have the confidence to try it again.   

When Pastor Darrell White of Sheridan Wesleyan Church approached me last spring about an arts-based mission trip with Poetice International, I was surprised; I'd read and dismissed the initial email invitation, thinking it had gone to the entire mailing list and knowing I wasn't qualified to do anything like that.  More important than the fact that I lack an art degree is that I'm not a "good" Christian; I have judgmental thoughts and can't always control my tongue.  How can an uneducated, unqualified, evil person like me make a difference nearly 10,000 miles away?

Then I remembered the reason I teach: to share how making art enriches our lives.  God has opened and closed doors thus far along my path, and each has led to a greater good.  This chance to share art with others so far away is another open door along my journey.  In sharing how painting has been a therapeutic "prayer" for me, others might find reason for creative self-expression.  That Pastor Darrell saw something in me worth sharing with others humbles me, for I am definitely the least qualified for this opportunity, but in reaching toward it, I will grow as an artist, an instructor, and most importantly, as a Christian.

I know this experience will teach me more than I could possibly teach others, and that it will change my life.  It cements in me the idea that if you put your whole heart into the area you're passionate about, it will grow in unexpected directions, leading you to places beyond your dreams.
Next time, I'll share our Zambia experience!