Art, The Mother Tongue

I communicate more effectively with a paintbrush than with my mouth.  Upon arriving in Zambia last month, the outgoing graciousness of the Zambians and the Americans in our group left me feeling shy and awkward, incapable of contributing anything of value to our mission there.  "There must be some mistake- 'them that be well need not a physician'- I NEED a physician!"  I longed to sneak back into my shell, where I observe the world and offer paintings and "behind-the-scenes" support.

My bashfulness kept me on the outskirts of conversations, afraid to join in, ask questions, or share any of my lackluster self.  I was disappointed when I didn't get a "job" like "writer" or "photographer" for the group, as I would have been more comfortable hiding behind- err, communicating via camera or notebook rather than engaging.

On the second day in Zambia, we traveled two hours to the village of Choma, where we had lunch with local children.  I saw a little girl who reminded me of myself.  Sitting apart from the laughing, running kids, she seemed content to observe rather than connect.  Though she was only about five, I knew from the way she watched the world that she was an artist like me.  Our eyes met, and we smiled, understandingly. 

After lunch, I started sketching the mangos overhead.  As expected, the little girl was soon at my side in the grass, eager to explore the tools in my little art-making cache: pencils, pens, a paintbrush with a water reservoir and a tiny watercolor set.  I demonstrated each tool, and she keenly repeated every motion as she made pictures in my sketchbook.  She didn't speak; I was told her name was Lisa, and that she knew very little English.  We didn't need words.  We were two people from very different worlds, with different ages, languages and backgrounds, who shared a connection through our desire to express ourselves on paper rather than by conversation. 
 Later that day, her dear mother welcomed us into their home.  I saw how honestly and simply they lived in a place not polluted with media or influences other than hospitality and God's love.  There was nothing to hide behind.

Holding a paintbrush gives me words that I don't have otherwise, so when my classes started a couple days later, I easily jumped into my art teacher role.  People of all ages and skill levels arrived to classes.  Some were professional artists who worked in pencils or seed mosaic, and others were beginners or children from a local arts academy.  The first day I taught color mixing with a step-by-step painting like I teach in the U.S.  People were generally less intimidated by color or inhibited by their own expectations than students in my classes back home.  Several had never used paints before, and their enthusiasm was infectious. 
 
On the second afternoon of classes, I turned around and there was a little girl with a smile I recognized but couldn't place.  Someone said, "It's Lisa from the village."  I offered her brushes, asking, "Do you want to paint with us?" and she nodded, smiling.   I showed her how to mix secondary colors, and she grasped it instantly.  Lisa made beautiful paintings, and took them with her when she left that day, leaving with me a warm heart. 
 

Sometimes shy people just speak a different language more fluently.  Art bridged the gap between Lisa and I where spoken words couldn't, even if we'd shared the same language.  The outgoing Zambians taught me not only to be more expressive and intuitive in my painting, but also less shy or self-conscious in conversation. I accept that while art is my first language, I can't use it as an excuse to withdraw from social settings.  No matter our limitations, we all have something of value to contribute, always. Above photos by Emily Eggebraaten of Sioux Falls, SD.
Our Elijah Mission International Zambia Program 10 Team- Lovely people!