Studio Construction Complete!



This year's annual Dayton Art Loop Studio Tour marked the celebration of my new studio addition, completed just in time for the snow and the show.  This entire build-on was an unusually smooth and joyful experience, and here's why:
 
Standing in the new studio, you can see the old studio's size difference.
When we built the first studio in the back 10-feet of our garage 15 years ago, I knew it would be too small, but we didn't have the money to go larger.  I used to regret that, but looking back, had we built it larger at that time, I wouldn't have sprung for the 10-foot sidewalls or vaulted ceilings, which allow not only for small but vital North-facing windows, but also for me to crank my easels up for larger paintings.  The years in need of a larger workspace gave me time to design it to best suit my needs.

Waiting so long also gave me time to save money.  I started saving my art income for this space in 2011, when I still worked full-time and part-time jobs, and the idea of painting full-time was a dream I was working toward.  When I realized I could actually pay for the entire construction with money earned on art, I made goals and careful decisions on costs.  It was gratifying to pay cash.  Telling long-time clients that their patronage helped put these walls up demonstrated that they have a real part in this, and that I'm a good steward of the money I earn.  Though my savings is depleted, not having a monthly bill to pay is worth every penny.  (Before you think I'm wealthy, I'll share that we prioritized this build over replacing windows, flooring and updating the kitchen and bathrooms in our doublewide, so now I can start saving for those projects.)

Making careful decisions on cost helped us find the right builders.  Our Black Mountain construction crew- two young guys who are also busy real estate agents- were as considerate of costs as we were, and stayed on budget for the duration.  Their honesty and willingness to provide exactly what we wanted at an affordable price transformed our builder-client relationship to a friendship.  I'm thrilled the work's done, but I genuinely miss these guys and am thankful for the high quality creative space they built.

We were able to reuse the big window from my old studio, which originally came from the Magnum Restaurant in Ranchester.  In high school, I painted those windows for holidays.  My husband Terry and I had our first "real" date there in 1986, and they sold my first piece of art there (I think it was $10).  I hadn't thought of these sentimental reasons to keep the window until we considered whether to replace it.

Terry and I have grown a lot since the first studio build, and we worked together more efficiently this time, proving that marriage is a bit like a construction zone - a continual work-in-progress towards a "more perfect union."  Terry worked hard, from shoveling dirt and gravel to painting walls and hanging art.  His input proved valuable many times.  I'd considered turning the old studio into a storage closet, but putting the closet in the new space gives me a wonderful loft above, for additional storage, and a place to read or think.

One thing that surprised me about building the new studio was how much I appreciate my old studio and the place it provided me to grow as an artist.  I've no doubt that some of my best paintings were created in that tiny space, providing the foundation for new work.  The old studio couldn't hold more than four people; seeing a dozen people with room to move during the Art Loop was a delight.  The reactions of those who'd seen my old studio many times were especially gratifying.

It was a great honor when my college art instructor, Jim Lawson-who still teaches me something every time I talk to him, and who made me realize that a degree isn't requisite to my being an artist- came to see my new space.  Like Terry, and that big old window, Jim's been there from the beginning of my career as an artist.

I guess my point is if there's something you really want, embrace the time it takes to achieve it, for it will provide you the ability to plan, save, and find the best way to meet your needs and accomplish your desires.  I'm more satisfied and grateful for this space now than I would have been 15 years ago, and I hope I continue to marvel at it and say, "Thank You!" every time I enter.