Lay it at the Feet


You probably know the story of Ananias and Sapphira from the fifth chapter of the book of Acts, the couple struck dead after lying to the Holy Spirit.  The early church in Acts was communal; out of generous hearts, as there was need, people sold possessions from time to time (meaning they still retained personal property) and laid the proceeds at the feet of the apostles as an offering.  This was not a requirement, as God never ordained this arrangement; it was an outpouring of their faith and love for one another.  Ananias and Sapphira, believers in this church, wanted the prestige of those who were giving all to serve others, but they didn’t want to give all of the proceeds from what they’d sold, so they laid a portion of it at the feet of the apostles.

My notes in my Bible by this chapter say that this couple grieved the Holy Spirit by their avarice in holding back some money, but today I believe it goes deeper- their lie to the Holy Spirit is embodied in where they laid their offeringat the feet of the apostles. 

 

The phrase “at the feet” is significant in this story.  When we lay something “at Jesus’ feet,” or leave it “at the foot of the Cross,” it means a total surrender: of a worry, a situation, a relationship, a talent, a gift.  It’s an acknowledgment of His ultimate control and an image of our total trust and dependence on Him.  It’s an “all-in,” “Not my will but Thine be done,” gesture.  

 

Esther fell at the King Xerxes’ feet, weeping and begging.  Abigail fell at King David’s feet in surrender, taking the blame for her husband’s foolishness.  Ruth lay down at Boaz’s feet.  John fell at the feet of Jesus in Rev 1:17 and 22:8.

 

The visual images reflect the same sentiment; it’s a willingness to say, “I surrender all. You lead. I will follow. I trust and will obey your will.”  

 

I think this couple would have lived had they quietly put the amended sum of money in the offering box without the theatrical fanfare of laying it at the feet, implying, “I surrender all,” when they did not.  Their sin was not their greed, or their lack of faith in God to provide, or in keeping part of the money, which was theirs to give or to keep, part or all (these two may have inspired 2 Cor 9:7).   Their sin, the lie, was in pretending to lay it all down.  I think their sin was rooted in pride, which prompted them to make a show of laying a partial offering at the feet of the apostles as if it were all they had

 

Ananias falls dead when confronted with the lie.  Sapphira is given the opportunity to tell the truth and live, yet she lies even further, telling Peter that the amount offered was indeed the price they received.  When Peter tells Sapphira, “Behold, the feet of those who carried your husband out are outside the door,” I think it offers a clue to understanding the story.  She falls dead at the feet of Peter for lying to the Holy Spirit- a final, total surrender, if you will. 

 

The status and honor they sought in appearing as generous as Barnabus and the others resulted in a very unceremonious burial; it was more like a disposal.  Sapphira wasn’t even wrapped in a cloth, just carried out and buried beside her husband.  I guess you could say they’re well-known though, as examples of double mindedness. 

 

In Amos 5:21, 24, God says, “I hate all your show and pretense- the hypocrisy of your religious festivals and solemn assemblies.  I will not accept your burnt offerings and grain offerings... Instead, I want to see a mighty flood of justice, an endless river of righteous living.”

 

This story speaks to me because of how pride once ruled me.  Never feeling adequate, I sought acclaim in my actions, wanting worldly credit for my deeds.  But when I realized that any adequacy in me comes only from Christ, it took away my need for the praise of man, because we’re all invalid without Him.  I learned that only He is able to make good come from what I surrender to Him; I can never make good of what I withhold from Him.  I’m learning to give and forgive fully, to surrender my right to be angry or resentful for the past.

 

Whatever we lay at the foot of the Cross must be in faith that He’s in control, in trust that He knows your heart.  We lay it down for Him, not for the watching eyes of the world.  Whatever we lay at the feet of Jesus must not be divided, but whole, all of it, surrendered and left there.  We can’t lay a past hurt at the feet of Jesus and then carry part of it as badge of resentment or a license for fear or hate.  We can’t surrender a sin that shames us and then pack the guilt of it around as a burden on our shoulders.  If we look at it through the story of Ananias and Sapphira, this is like pretending to surrender all, while holding some back for ourselves.  

 

May what we lay at the feet of Jesus be the whole offering in entirety.  Let us leave it all right there, trusting Him with it. 






The "Holy Wows" of this?  Hours after I'd written it, I had a conversation with a friend about the same topic.  It came up several times this week.  Then minutes after posting it, a friend messaged me with a story that made it make much more sense to me. Another friend suggested Matt 6:3 ("When you give, don't let your left hand know what your right hand is doing,")  and I told her I very nearly added that.  God is so good.